[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Fri Apr 20 23:38:10 UTC 2007

> Slim Virgin
> Let's face it, it's kind of odd that we assume the right to expose a
> living person to the whims of anyone of any age anywhere in the world,
> people who don't have to use their real names, don't have to
> understand the policies, don't even have to be able to spell. It's a
> lot to ask of that person that they should simply acquiesce and
> dutifully check their bios every day for the rest of their lives, in
> case some 10-year-old, or a malicious enemy, has added insults or
> libel that thousands of people might read before it's fixed, and which
> Google may continue to distribute anyway.

	At the risk of being tedious and repetitive, I strongly
endorse the above view:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1882027,00.html

	A Wikipedia biography page is an attractive nuisance and a
weapon of asymmetric warfare.

       	I wish it weren't so, but that's how it works.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  http://sethf.com/
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/