[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 20 20:18:13 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always felt this was Brandt's strongest argument. Let's face it,
> it's kind of odd that we assume the right to expose a living person to
> the whims of anyone of any age anywhere in the world, people who don't
> have to use their real names, don't have to understand the policies,
> don't even have to be able to spell.

We don't, Sarah. In fact, we do our best to protect people from
malicious additions -- more so than any user-generated content website
I know. Could we do more? Yes, certainly. But not by locking down
things. I do not agree with a full-prot. of Brandt's or any other
article. But a permanent semi-protection in this case is certainly
appropriate, and we should take it from there.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic