[WikiEN-l] Will the WMF protect admins acting as their agentsto enforce policies?

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 00:42:39 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Cascadia <cascadia at privatenoc.com> wrote:
> I specifically stated that I could not find any admin action that could be
> taken by any admin that could be sued upon without the complatintant being
> laughed out of the court room...

Do not rely on your internal lawyer.  Not so long ago the entire text
of a Harry Potter novel was posted on Wikipedia several times over,
very shortly after the novel was published.  Each example once
detected was immediately deleted.  Had just *one* administrator copied
the text of that novel from the deleted pages area of the database and
published it elsewhere, he would have been liable for a very serious
lawsuit, and possibly worse (copyright infringement can in certain
circumstances be a crime).  Similarly, had just *one* administrator
undeleted the deleted material, both he and possibly Wikipedia could
have been exposed (though S230 might exempt Wikimedia Foundation).