[WikiEN-l] Will the WMF protect admins acting as their agents toenforce policies?

Cascadia cascadia at privatenoc.com
Thu Apr 19 22:21:59 UTC 2007

On one hand, I don't believe anyone really would have a leg to stand on in
any court trying to sue someone over an administrative action of a website.
The owners of the website have full control over the content, as well as the
authority to delegate that control to anyone they see fit to do the job (I
know, I am a moderator for another site). Personally, I believe the
complaintant would be laughed out of court. HOWEVER, I believe what Info
Control is trying to ask is:

A)In that rare circumstance where someone does decide to go to court with an
admin over an administrative action, will the WMF step in and say "Wait,
hold on... This person was delegated authority by us, the site owners, to
control content." and atleast try to keep it from becoming costly litigation
on the shoulders of the individual editor.

and

B)If this is not the case, is the WMF, etc., prepared to notify all admins
that "If you're sued because of an administrative action, you're on your
own. If you get stuck in lengthly litgation because the complaintant found
the one judge in the world that would hear it, well sorry to say you are
screwed. But remember, this was in good faith!"

Info Control, does that about properly sum up your argument?

-Cascadia

"Info Control" <infodmz at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:def5f7d40704191251n4c77d723nf01e28678e36ef40 at mail.gmail.com...