[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:36:36 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lots of people believe that if
> they're threatened with violence or a lawsuit while carrying out work
> on behalf of Wikipedia, they can look to the Foundation for help.

Until today it had never occurred to me that some people might believe
this.  It's my failing that I didn't realise this, because it *does*
make sense of a lot of people's actions on Wikipedia, which have
seemed somewhat irresponsible to me--not least in their apparently
wilful exposure of Wikimedia to potential third party liability.

In the circumstances, I can only underline my earlier agreement that
the mediawiki boilerplate should be changed to underline the fact that
Wikimedia does not indemnify, condone, excuse, support, instigate or
stand on the sidelines cheerleading the actions or statements of
editors.  That this seems obvious to me isn't enough.  It needs to be
stated clearly.