[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Thu Apr 19 21:05:32 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Why?  Why do we do things this way rather than following some
> mechanistic legal system?  Because we know each other, we trust each
> other, we share responsibilities, and we proceed forward thoughtfully
> and carefully to try to make sure that in all cases, justice is done.

This is why I asked earlier if you were aware of the community discussions
on the matter.  Because there is a significant number of Wikipedians who
don't know and don't trust Brandt, and don't feel that this is a just
activity.  There's a not-insignificant number of people who don't share
that sort of opinion about many members of the power structure here, and
when the power structure, as it were, completely ignores community
consensus (one of those ultra-important things), it causes a loss of faith
in the entire process.

When I can agree with unblocking Brandt, but still feel disheartened by
the whole affair, there's something wrong.

-Jeff