[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:05:08 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem with it, Erik, is that it sends a message that users may
> > harass and stalk other users, post libel about them, out them, contact
> > their employers, contact their boyfriends, and generally try to make
> > life miserable for them, so long as they do it off-wiki.
>
> Both of the "hive mind" pages are down now. Perhaps that is
> insufficient from your perspective, but it is a first step, and IMHO
> sufficient to reopen the dialog in public.

The hive mind pages outed people, but didn't libel them. The libel,
the insults, and the harassment are still on Wikipedia Review and
other bulletin boards. The stalking has occurred by e-mail, with him
trying to find out who I am, contacting people he thinks I used to
date and work with. This is recent by the way, not ancient history; he
was last in touch with someone he thought I used to work for in
January this year.

Bear in mind that the harassment started only because I began a stub
on him in October 2005 (a short, neutral one) that I deleted when he
asked me to. I've not blocked him or had any further run-ins with him.
(Not that it would make his behavior okay if I had.)

I've been told that, even after his unblock, he has continued to post
about how best to uncover my home address (though I've not seen this
myself; people are e-mailing me about it).

> If Daniel has indeed posted libel about you, have you considered
> taking legal action against him?

I'll answer this off-list.

Can you answer my previous question, Erik, because it's one that a lot
of people are now worried about. Is it your view that all that matters
is what users do on-wiki, and that what they do to other users
off-wiki is of no consequence?

Sarah