[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:46:51 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:

> Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
> > Yes, until Jimbo unblocked there was a community ban.  When a
> > community-banned editor is unblocked, with a proper reason, then there
> > is no more community ban.  This is why I have said: no community ban
> > applies to Daniel Brandt at this time.
>
> I don't think you're correct on this.  I could very well be wrong, but I
> don't think you're correct.  If you are, this is a very fundamental shift
> in terms of the ability of the community to create any sort of lasting
> sanction.

I think it goes without saying that the community has no ability to
create an irreversible sanction.  People change their minds, consensus
shifts, exceptions arise, and exigencies intervene.  As a matter of
practice, I could easily list umpteen very long-lived community
sanctions, and these are not affected one wit for being just as
reversible as they were on the day they were first imposed.