[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" article

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:40:56 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:

> Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) wrote:
>
>   > However, in the current AfD discussion, which I acknowledge is
> > trending toward "Keep" again, it is represented that at least one
> > suicidal individual has ACTUALLY consulted this article for
> > information on how to kill himself. This multiplies my concern
> > tenfold.
>
> And, given the stories coming out, it's not outside the realm of
> possibility that the Virginia Tech gunmna referred to [[Columbine High
> School massacre]].
>
> Is it chilling to know that people may have consulted it?  Absolutely,
> but that doesn't change our mission here.

Almost exactly what I was about to say. As long as something is
encyclopedic, there is no reason we should not have an article about it. I
would find it more disturbing to have a howto article on suicide methods
(which is purely unencyclopedic) than to have, as I mentioned earlier, a
decent article outlining the prevalence of various suicide methods, famous
instances of such methods, etc. Now that is an encyclopedic article.

Johnleemk