[WikiEN-l] Morality of deletionism/inclusionism (was "Suicide methods" article)

Info Control infodmz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:30:32 UTC 2007

If we're going to impose moral judgements on the encyclopedia, whose will
they be? Christian, North American values? Atheist? Humanist? Jewish,
Muslim? Buddhist? Yours, mine?

WP:NPOV extends to morals, as well: whose has authority over the project?
The loudest, the most vocal?

I think applying any sort of moral compass to the existence of an article is
a horrific precedence, because it then opens morality to the consensus
process. At that point, does the most vocal, or highest numerical
concentration of moral authority on the encyclopedia get to decide what is
appropriate for inclusion based on personal values rather than facts and
knowledge?