[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" article

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 00:53:41 UTC 2007

on 4/16/07 1:53 PM, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) at newyorkbrad at gmail.com wrote:

> I consider myself a rather conventional and non-rouge type of editor and
> administrator but it is requiring a supreme effort of willpower not to
> perform an immediate IAR speedy deletion of this article on the ground that
> it represents an imminent threat to human life and safety whose
> existence tends to place the project in disrepute.  I have no desire to
> create drama, but I am gravely troubled and would welcome comments from
> other Wikipedians.

Brad,

I am also troubled by the Suicide Methods Article.

This is my take on the subject:

The fact that you are troubled by its existence speaks of your humanity and
compassion. Don¹t touch these. Don¹t discount these. They are a part of what
makes you a person I would like to know.

If your fear is that the Article (which is pretty crappy to begin with)
would, in any way, influence a person considering suicide - please rest
assured it would have very little actual effect on the decision; whether
that decision is whether to, or how to. Our media culture is full of such
images, and the Wikipedia Article is just one of them.

The very sad fact is, if a person truly believes the unbearable condition of
their life will never change, and cannot find a reason to continue to live ­
they will not.

Marc Riddell