[WikiEN-l] Foreign language WP as a source

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 13:37:57 UTC 2007

on 4/16/07 8:37 AM, Florence Devouard at Anthere9 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Marc Riddell wrote:
>> on 4/16/07 8:15 AM, MacGyverMagic/Mgm at macgyvermagic at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> It's not a good idea to use another language Wikipedia as your source. That
>>> would make spreading misinformation far too easy.
>>> Instead you should find where they got it from and cite that as a source
>>> (even if it's in German). If the article is translated from the German
>>> Wikipedia, it's a good idea to mention that in the references section,
>>> though.
>>>

>> Thanks, That approach feels better to me too. Right now I'm Googling it to
>> death to see what I can find.
>>
>> Marc
>
> The funny thing is that the bigger languages wikipedia are frequently
> used as source for smaller languages wikipedia, with full translation of
> article :-)

Interesting sidebar to all of this: I went in and changed the source from
the German WP to the only other one I could find, artfacts.net, and was
immediately reverted by a bot. It seems reference to this site is prohibited
in WP. They read me Miranda, and I was off to the pokey ;-). It seems
ignorance of the law is no excuse :-) The Article is back where it started.

Marc