[WikiEN-l] That whole WP:BADSITES controversy...

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:15:48 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> And, to continue on my train of thought from the last message, it's a
> real shame that the main critical sites are like that; I genuinely see a
> lot of good in the idea of an independent, critical-minded site that
> keeps watch on Wikipedia, holds it up to criticism where warranted and
> ridicule when it deserves it, and makes constructive criticism about
> what its problems are and how they might be solved.

I see alot of good in the idea too. In the hope of finding some
constructive criticism that I could use to improve Wikipedia, I
registered at Wikipedia Review in late 2005, shortly after it was
started.

In the beginning (when there were only a handful of users there) I
managed to have some fairly constructive discussions (including with
some people who had never edited, but who were looking for a forum
where they could discuss weaknesses of the project and opportunities
for improvement with other like minded people), but over time the
composition of the site changed from being mostly rational critics to
being largely comprised of banned users with grudges.

Now the discussion is almost exclusively about individuals on Wikipedia.

There's still a lack of a dedicated place for independent, external,
rational critical commentary.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com