[WikiEN-l] Citizendium's assertions about material from Wikipedia

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 14 19:37:05 UTC 2007

Jossi Fresco wrote:
>> I was under the impression that once I hit the save button, the
>> content I contribute to WP can only be reused under the GFDL.
>
> <snip>
> WP:C#Contributors' rights and obligations:
> If you contribute material to Wikipedia... you must be in a
> position to grant this license, which means that either
>      * you hold the copyright to the material, for instance because
> you produced it yourself...
> In the first case, you retain copyright to your materials. You can
> later republish and relicense them in any way you like. However, you
> can never retract the GFDL license for the versions you placed here:
> that material will remain under GFDL forever.

> My reading of the above is that one you submit material to WP "you
> can never retract the GFDL" and that the "GFDL is forever".

You can never retract the GFDL *from the copy you posted to
Wikipedia*.  (What this means is that you can't "take the words
back" from Wikipedia, or attempt to unrelease them.)  However,
you can do anything you like with those words elsewhere.

(I think I will edit WP:C to change "the versions you placed
here" to "the copy you placed here", to clarify this point.)