[WikiEN-l] Merger of [[WP:SOCK]], [[WP:SPA]], and [[WP:DOP]] into [[WP:U]]

Dycedarg darthvader1219 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 06:02:05 UTC 2007

Apparently some people got together...somewhere...and decided that it would
make sense to merge [[WP:DOP]], [[WP:SPA]], and [[WP:SOCK]] into [[WP:U]].
No link to said discussion was put anywhere on the talk pages of the
articles to be involved in the merger, just general comments that it had
been decided following discussions on WP:LAP, WP:VP, and WP:AN. I couldn't
find any trace of a discussion on the talk page of WP:LAP concerning the
merge, and that page has no archives. I'm not about to go trolling through
the archives of WP:AN and WP:VP, but even if there has been discussion, it
doesn't do anyone any good if no one knows about it or can find it. The only
discussion relating to the merge that I found was on the talk page of the
draft page where the merge was conducted before it was moved to WP:U, and
that discussion involved no more than 7 editors. I just thought I'd try to
bring this to people's attention, because I don't feel that this merger
makes the slightest bit of sense, and the way much of it was done without
even properly using merge tags (one was never placed on WP:U until I put it
there, nothing was put on WP:SOCK until I put it there even though the
material has already been merged, nothing was put on WP:SPA until the
material was already merged, and WP:DOP was merged after having a merge tag
on it for five days but without there ever having been a merge tag on WP:U
or any discussion on its talk page) really gets on my nerves. I don't like
it when a few people get together somewhere and decide the fate of multiple
*policies*, not guidelines, without even linking to the discussion or
mentioning it on the talk pages of the policies in question until major
changes have already been underway. Not to mention I can't imagine why they
thought the merger of a guideline ([[WP:DOP]]) and a somewhat controversial
essay ([[WP:SPA]]) into a policy would be uncontroversial. That's akin to
raising the status of those pages to policy level, and I've yet to see straw
polls or any kind of discussion at all indicating consensus.

--

Dycedarg