[WikiEN-l] Proposal to not allow editing without account

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 12 18:55:37 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > When we have Single User Login, we should disable unregistered user
> > editing on the higher traffic wikis.

> Has this been discussed before? I didn't know it was a possible
> side-effect of SUL. We should think long and hard before doing this,
> as it will generate a huge amount of discussion in the media etc.

Sure, there's no automatism. I just think it's a good idea--but not,
as I said, primarily to deal with vandalism. There are other reasons
to ask people to choose a name before editing.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic