[WikiEN-l] Proposal to not allow editing without account

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 00:07:14 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Oleg Alexandrov <mathbot at hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org> wrote:
> That's the whole point I think. If you supply your email address when
> you make your account you're less likely to vandalize. And if you get
> blocked you can't start a new account with the same address while the
> block is on.

Well it *might* work that way. But more likely, I think that by
forcing everyone to be registered, we will simply be depriving
ourselves of this simple measure of "likelihood of being a vandal". If
you notice a trend that drug dealers wear green clothing, then the
last thing you want to do is ban green clothing.

Steve