[WikiEN-l] CATEGORIES!!!!!!

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 11 08:38:23 UTC 2007

Gallagher Mark George wrote:
> Apologies if you already know this and I'm merely responding to a typo, but have you tried
>
> 	.catlinks { display: none; }
>
> ?
>
> "catlinks" is a class, but "stub" is an ID.  Classes are referenced in stylesheets with a full stop, and IDs with a hash mark.

Ah! I knew there had to be something simple I was overlooking. Thanks! I
like categories myself, but this will be an excellent tool to suggest to
people who despise them for whatever reason. :)

> (While we're talking about people who obsess about categories, I noticed the other day that someone had taken the time to write a bot to tag uncategorised articles, but apparently does not bother taking the time to actually categorise said articles.  It's either a brilliant microcosm of the sad state of Wikipedia and Wikipedians, or I'm being silly.  We report: you decide!)

My own pet peeve along these lines is articles with no categories other
than various subject-specific stub categories added by subject-specific
stub tags. Why go to the trouble of sorting and specifying the type of
stub it is and not add the actual categories at the same time? Seems
like such a trivial extra step, we could even have a bot doing the work.