[WikiEN-l] Transwikiing free-content images

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 02:20:27 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> It's uncontroversial to move images individually, people do it all the
>> time. Mass moves seem like less of a good idea, unless you had a group
>> that had already all been vetted for source and license. Commons doesn't
>> have the resources to clean up after a move of, say, 100K images of
>> which 5% are copyvios.
>>

> It is such a painful, slow process to manually transwiki an image that
> I pray to god that someone will start doing mass moves.
>
> I understand that we would not want to blindly move tens of thousands
> of images at a time, but surely there is a middle ground. Someone
> could make a tool whereby you could quickly just tick off a list of
> acceptable images, and the move would "happen"?

I think Magnus did something semi-automatic, can't find a ref to it now.
Image history will be more meaningful once we have single-login, so I've
hanging out waiting for that. It will go faster if en:'s free-license
categories are scrubbed of copyvios, so there's plenty of work available
now. :-)

Stan