[WikiEN-l] Bureaucrats decide!

Christopher Hagar cmhagar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:05:40 UTC 2007

It is common practice that Supports by default rightly mean "I have a good
impression" or "I see nothing wrong" whereas the reasonable question to ask
of an Oppose is "Why? What is the problem you identified?". Since properly
it is not necessary that every admin candidate have single-handedly written
a featured article or hand-held some newbie forever or saved someone's life
or whatever, an unexplained Support means that the Supporter may have not
gone through great pains to identify some stellar act of goodness by the
candidate but nevertheless has had good experiences of him and has not
detected serious problems.

There is nothing mysterious about such Support votes. If an Opposer were,
however, to oppose with no explanation, the question is /why/ they opposed,
what the problem is, and furthermore the only way for Opposers to convince
anyone else to oppose or move away from the default good faith assumption of
the candidate is to explain. If there is actually something truly wrong with
a candidate, Opposers need to bring that to light and so they do.

Also, if you are looking to learn about consensus, don't use RfA as your
basis. It is the least like a proper consensus-making process out of
anything on Wikipedia. If you want to learn about consensus, go look at an
article talk page where the participants are concerned about making an
encyclopedic article.