[WikiEN-l] CATEGORIES!!!!!!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:03:08 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> A problem right now is that our category system is structured but what
> exactly category membership MEANS is kind of fuzzy.  Is it IS-A,
> IS-RELATED-TO, HAS-A, or what? Many of our categories start off as one
> type of relationship, but which mutates as it goes deeper.  For
> example, London IS-A city, but HAS-A bus system.

Yep, and even the "strict taxonomies" have several meanings:
* IS-A
* IS-IN (geographical)
* IS-WITHIN (time)
* IS-A-BRANCH-OF (or something. a species "is" not its parent genus)

And the less strict taxonomies are even more diverse (eg, characters
are part of their fictional universe, a building may be part of the
history of a town). And we haven't even gotten onto the difference
between a subcat/parentcat relationship and an article/category
relationship.

I don't think there are easy answers, but maybe there are solutions
that cover many common cases.

Steve