[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Tue Apr 10 12:44:12 UTC 2007

Perhaps more acceptance of stubs is in order in this area. It may be the stretching to somehow create a full biography is part of the problem. A good test would be googling to see if the published information is already rising to the top of the google hits. If it does, there is little additional harm done by having a Wikipedia article about it. The harm comes from adding additional details not contained in the standard google hit. So, to take the example posed, it does little harm to list acting projects, while ferreting out birthday, birthplace, elementary school, photos of her on holiday, opinions on religion, etc. become an invasion of privacy, at least in the case of a child. Trivial reports regarding taste in music or other popular cultural interests might be Ok, but that frames the nature of the public's legitimate interest in a child actor.

Fred