[WikiEN-l] Innovative (re)uses of Wikipedia content

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 10 02:54:51 UTC 2007

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/charity-news/education-cd.htm
http://www.schoolnet.na/ Schoolnet Namibia is making Wikipedia content
available on thin client PCs
http://www.widernet.org/digitallibrary/ includes Wikipedia content
http://mobiled.uiah.fi/ provides mobile access to spoken (!) Wikipedia
content, piloted in African schools

OLPC (already mentioned) wants to involve kids in the editing process as well.

There's a bunch of data mining projects which make use of Wikipedia's
huge text corpus.

No time for a more detailed response .. but briefly, by becoming part
of the commons, resources can and do spread freely even into regions
that don't have Internet coverage. Innovators, in the non-profit or
the for-profit sector, can experiment freely with new ways to
disseminate and derive knowledge.

Sandy, our Communications Director (in CC), is working on a press kit
that includes these and other use cases -- you may want to get in
touch with her to share info.