[WikiEN-l] CATEGORIES!!!!!!

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 23:05:09 UTC 2007

> What is more likely to happen - and has momentum - is that categories
> will become more like tags. At this point, expect this vast hierarchy
> of category trees to get switched sideways.

I think that's largely a good idea and I hope it gets done.  Tags are
understood by most of the user population, I suspect, since they have
already been exposed to them via places such as flickr, del.icio.us
and others.  They are less structured, of course, but structure
requires agreement beyond that which is easy to obtain on enwiki.

If the software got smart (and the technology isn't patented,
naturally) something like flickr's 'tag clusters' might be a neat idea
as well.

-Matt