[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Apr 9 20:17:37 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On 4/9/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:46:26 -0700, Ray Saintonge
>><saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Let's face it, just mentioning NOR and fancruft in starting a thread
>>>where you sought responses on a copyright question was bound to give the
>>>wrong impression.  You've been around long enough to be aware of the
>>>uncanny ability of members of this list for finding the wrong emphasis
>>>in a message. :-)
>>>

>>Well yes, that's true.  What I hadn't realised was that there appears
>>to be a degree of philosophical opposition to the idea of copyright,
>>or at least to the idea that we should only include what we know to be
>>clean, rather than waiting for conclusive proof before removing
>>anything.  That's a reversal of the burden of proof, as far as I'm
>>concerned.
>>

>I'd say there's probably a large degree of philosophical opposition to
>the idea of copyright over a collection of 4 groups of 20 or so names
>of cars - not as much over the idea of copyright itself.
>
>If you really want to exclude absolutely all copyrighted materials
>from all articles, lest a lawyer goes through and gives a professional
>opinion on whether or not the article is infringing, most articles on
>TV series would be decimated.

This is an interesting point.  Some of our plot summaries go into
considerable detail.  Why do we not hear complaints from the producers?
It they could commit themselves to a policy of saying, "You can do this,
but you can't do that," it would make our task much easier.  A lot of
what happens reflects custom rather than law.  They realize that a
certain amount of public discussion and information helps sell their
product.  Taking a clear stand on some of this, even the most obvious,
would be a loss of tactical advantage.

Ec