[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia notability (was "Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies")

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Apr 9 16:59:59 UTC 2007

On 4/9/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/07, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Notability" has no divinely-ordained, objective definition that can
> > be logically deduced. The definition of "notability" changes according
> > to how much the person using the word wants an article to be deleted.
> >

> It may be, but it shouldn't. It should be based on facts, not someone's
> deletion opinions. The result based on those facts may differ, though.

"Notability" can be based on facts, but still change according to a
person's opinion, because it's a person's opinion as to how to weigh
the facts.

Even the term "notable" can be used in at least two different ways.  I
generally use it to mean "worthy of note", which is inherently an
opinion.  Some people think a game show contestant is worthy of note.
Others don't.  The term "notable" can also be used to mean "well
known", which is more of an objective decision, but I also thought it
was one which isn't useful in determining if an article should be
deleted.  Most contestants on Survivor are much more well known than
most Nobel prize laureates, but does that make them more notable?

Anthony