[WikiEN-l] When Unsourced Isn't That Bad

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:30:07 UTC 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Kirill Lokshin wrote:

> On 4/9/07, Philip Sandifer <sandifer at english.ufl.edu> wrote:
>> So what can we do? What can we put into place that facilitates this
>> sort of local engagement?
>
> Work through the relevant WikiProjects more?  There's a certain
> element of disdain for them -- "I don't want to talk to WikiProject X
> because they're all fanboys/POV pushers/people violating OWN/etc." --
> that needs to be done away with; but they're an existing
> infrastructure for interacting with editors that work primarily in a
> particular subject area without getting involved in the Wikipedia-wide
> bureaucracy.

I agree - the WikiProjects were always, at their best, intended to
provide exactly this sort of vehicle. They've also long been tied
down in a tricky way - on the one hand, we don't want to give them
the leeway to create their own policy, or else we get something like,
as David called it, WikiProject AfD. On the other hand, we need to
empower them at least somewhat.

It occurs to me that this is, in practice, exactly what CZ's system
of editors does. It empowers certain trusted individuals to have
certain amounts of control in certain subject areas, thus
functionally creating micropolicy in certain subject areas. Obviously
we don't want to go CZ's route of credentialism, but there may be
something we can use here.

-Phil