[WikiEN-l] Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Apr 9 15:52:05 UTC 2007

On 4/9/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
> > MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> >
> > > The fact I need to use LexisNexis to find the newspaper articles I need
> > > write certain articles proves not every newspaper article is available
> > > online. For most newspapers, the publicly available bit is archived for
> > > limited amount of time. We are a LOT more accessible.
> >
> > Yes, we're more accessable, but the information is not unaccessable.  I've
> > been in the same boat as you on the research regard, trust me - it doesn't
> > mean the information isn't readily available and, again, if we're not the
> > first publisher, we're not doing the harm.
>

> We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think we're certainly not the first
> or only people causing harm, but if we make a piece of information
> permanently available to a worldwide audience, I don't think we can say
> we're not doing any harm at all.

I agree with this, but I think once you get into the game of measuring
harm you've opened up a can of worms that will ruin the encyclopedia.
If a policy of deletion of information about living people is adopted,
it must be carefully constructed to be applied neutrally.  That means
protecting the guilty along with the innocent, in my opinion.

Anthony