[WikiEN-l] Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Mon Apr 9 01:36:21 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:

> You seem to be saying we should have a biography on every single
> person who has ever been in the news.

I wouldn't argue against it, no.

> Well, another way of looking at it is that it's because we're worse
> than everyone else, and that we don't listen to our subjects'
> reasonable requests.

It's unreasonable to expect someone to remove a legitimate biography on
a notable figure.

> There's a perception that we're not reliable, and that we don't take
> sufficient editorial responsibility for the material produced by our
> thousands of anonymous editors. If we were to announce that we
> recognize biographical material on living persons is an area where the
> open-editing model can be inappropriate, and that therefore we're
> going to allow certain types of subjects to opt out, we'd be seen as
> responsible and self-regulating.

No we wouldn't.  Internally, we'd be cowardly and stupid.  Externally,
no one would give a shit - it does nothing to solve the problems ("Okay,
so some people can have their biographies removed.  Too bad the articles
are still inaccurate.")

> It's the goodwill of the public that's financing us.

Yup.  And that doesn't seem to be changing, and it doesn't look like we
need a misguided policy to increase it further.

-Jeff

--
Name: Jeff Raymond
E-mail: jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
WWW: http://www.internationalhouseofbacon.com
IM: badlydrawnjeff
Quote: "I was always a fan of Lisa Loeb, particularly
	because you kind of get the impression she
	sang every song either about or to her cats.
	They seem to be the driving force in most of
	her creative process."     - Chuck Klosterman