[WikiEN-l] Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Mon Apr 9 00:33:43 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:

> Jeff, can you expand on how it would do that? As I see it, it might do
> the opposite. Biographies of borderline notable people often either
> languish unattended or are used as a platform by people with an axe to
> grind.

Well, the first problem is the construct of "borderline notability."
There's no such thing.  You're either notable or you're not, and our
twisted concepts of the idea doesn't help.

With that said, okay, so now Brandt wants to opt out of his article.  Or
some otherwise noteworthy-in-his-field crank who doesn't want an
article.  Or someone who's perfectly reasonably notable in certain
areas, but most people wopuldn't know from a hole in the ground.  Then
we start getting these battles and ill will and what have you.

And then the trolling elemtns come in - we have plenty of troll types
who have their own articles at this point - why are we even considering
allowing the subjects any say in the matter?

Completely insane.

-Jeff

--
Name: Jeff Raymond
E-mail: jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
WWW: http://www.internationalhouseofbacon.com
IM: badlydrawnjeff
Quote: "I was always a fan of Lisa Loeb, particularly
	because you kind of get the impression she
	sang every song either about or to her cats.
	They seem to be the driving force in most of
	her creative process."     - Chuck Klosterman