[WikiEN-l] Special rules for "controversial" AFDs

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:10:20 UTC 2007

On 4/8/07, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:
> But in order to make it possible, you had to make a special rule about
> having to have 150 edits to make a keep/delete comment, a rule that
> doesn't apply to any other AFD though a similar "made up" rule was
> used once used for GNAA.

I think it has been used on other occasions but it isn't common no.

however the lesser form of ignoring !votes from new accounts is far
more common and is pretty standard when we are worried about outside
interference.

> If it is necessary to treat certain controversial sock prone AFDs this
> way then a policy needs to be adopted covering it,

If you really want a policy justification then it was an enforcement of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AFD#How_to_discuss_an_AfD.2FWikietiquette

> who can invoke
> "special rules",

Anyone who can do so without significant opposition. I had no ability
to enforce the 150 edit number if I encounter significant opposition.
I just judged correctly that I would not in this case.

>under what circumstances, and what qualifies an
> account to "vote" when the rule is invoked. This is so it doesn't look
> like the nominator is pulling rules out of his ass.

Rules were set up as needed I was aware of a number of aged socks with
non zero edit counts around but I was pretty sure the number was not
as high as 150.

> If I am not
> mistaken, users have been warned in the past about making up their own
> policies.

I wasn't making up policy. I was doing what I believe needed to be
done in order to create a workable AFD.

> As for how such a rule would be phrased, I don't like the use of "edit
> counts". In the case of the INA AFD, my vote would have been ruled out
> even though I am nobody's sock and have been around since 2005. A
> better idea would be to disallow "votes" from accounts less then 15
> days old which should cover the length of an AFD plus a relisting.
> That is, if it must be done at all.

Wouldn't work in that case. These things are done case by case to deal
with each individual situation so a universal rule would be a bad
idea. Additionally the whole thing is not common enough to need a
policy.

--
geni