[WikiEN-l] Chicago situation resolved.

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 05:40:28 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> writes:

> Marc Riddell wrote:
>
>>on 4/7/07 5:40 PM, geni wrote:
>>

>>>Not so much. Information is power. Power includes the power to
   kill.

>>>Words and images can result in deaths. See [[Jyllands-Posten
   Muhammad
>>>cartoons controversy]]. So can almost any form of information
>>>
>>>If wikipedia continues at it's current level of popularity it
   is
>>>likely that something in it will eventually indirectly result
   in
>>>deaths (if it hasn't already). At best we can hope that any
   deaths
>>>will be the result of truths rather than lies.
>>>

>>Bummer :-(
>>

> As the song says, "Always look on the bright side of life."  A
death in
> the pursuit of this jihad of truth will earn you the endless
> ministrations of 100 perpetual virgins.  ;-)
>
> Ec

No, no, that's a mistaken, heretical, and POV translation! What
the Prophet Jimbo saith in his fifth sura was that death in the
pursuit of truth guaranteed the martyr the endless ministrations
of 100 perpetual "reference librarians", not "virgins". It is an
easy mistake, but nevertheless crucial.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.