[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 6 21:37:28 UTC 2007

Ken Arromdee wrote:

>>But
>>my fundamental reason for removing it is copyright, and if the BBC
>>says it is not copyright then I will add it back.  I have asked them.
>>

>Why?  You claim that either it's copyright, or it's OR.  If you truly
>believed this, surely if the BBC says it is not copyright, you would conclude
>it's OR and still leave it out for that reason.
>
>(And what are we doing using British copyright laws in a Wikipedia run in the
>US anyway?  Surely the BBC won't tell you if it's copyright under *American*
>law.)

In all fairness, since the programme is produced in Britain then British
law would apply to determine whether the work is copyright.  If US law
differs the work could be reproduced in the USA, but not world-wide.
Having the servers and company offices in the US does imply that we must
consider US copyright law, but not exclusively so.

Ec