[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 4 20:59:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:53:18 -0600, Bryan Derksen
<bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

>Wikipedia allows fair use of copyrighted material, and furthermore it
>follows American copyright law rather than British so even if the BBC
>claims "the list is copyright us, don't touch!" and a British lawyer
>says "they're right, you know" that doesn't necessarily mean we can't
>include the list. It may be uncopyrighted in the US, and at the very
>least I expect it's easy fair use.

You suspect.  But I suspect that reproducing in its entirety a list
which constitutes original creative work is not an "easy" fair use. If
you look lower down you'll see that Ray Saintonge agrees.  So:
probably not "easy".

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk