[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 4 20:25:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:16:18 -0400, "The Cunctator"
<cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >In this case, the criterion for list membership is "has been on the Top
>> >Gear Cool Wall". This is no more a matter of subjective interpretation
>> >than coming up with a cast list for an ongoing TV show.

>> That is defensible in the case of an individual car, yes.  Like saying
>> it was No. 1 in the charts.  But, as with the charts, including the
>> entire list violates copyright.

>Huh? You keep repeating this, but the evidence for the claim just isn't there.

I am looking for the OTRS ticket reference; the UK charts company
wrote to us asking to take down two lists on precisely that basis.  Of
course, they could have been bullshitting, but why bother?

>>  And to get the names requires either
>> interpretation of the pictures or watching every show.  There are no
>> independent secondary sources, and the primary source does not publish
>> the list in text form.

>OH MY GOD! Someone watched every show! I know, let's shut down
>Wikipedia for three months.

Oh don't be silly.  If we can forget all the hyperbole for a minute
here, someone has copied content from a broadcast programme with a
copyright statement at the end.  Under the circumstances it seems
reasonable to ask them to prove it is not copyright before it goes
back in.  That is, after all, supposed to be how it works: the onus is
supposed to be on those seeking to include content, to show that it is
valid.

Me, I sent an email to the BBC asking them.  I thought that was smart.
But hell, I thought it was smart to remove a big chunk of material
taken directly from a copyright broadcast, and look where that got me.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG