[WikiEN-l] What can be done to let users fix it themselves?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 02:14:10 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> After a post here mentioned it, I went to WP:COI and WP:AUTO.
>
> These two articles seem to promote the view that you're not supposed to edit
> an article about yourself.
>
> However, WP:BLP seems to suggest that you can to remove libel or unsourced
> material, and it's a common refrain to complaints about Wikipedia, "why didn't
> you just fix the article yourself?"

Can we focus this debate on what we believe the correct situation
should be, then update policy to match that?

I don't think much good will come from telling people to fix libel in
their own articles. Because
a) They shouldn't have to
b) It will quickly get confused and sound like you can change
*anything* in your own articles
c) It will probably cause an argument, especially because it will
always be a newcomer who doesn't understand wikipedia, and things will
end badly.

It's much better the existing way, where libelees complain to OTRS or
something, and something with a clue handles it.

Steve