[WikiEN-l] Copyright question ("compilation copyright")

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:50:49 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> IMO it's looking more and more like you just wanted to find excuses to
> back up the removal of some content you didn't like. You may win
> individual battles that way but if you really want to rid Wikipedia as a
> whole of fancruft then I'd suggest debating _fancruft itself_ rather
> than trying to warp other unrelated policies to the task. You'll just
> wind up annoying people and possibly causing unintended side effects.

I suspect Guy knows quite well that project consensus does not back
him as far as he'd like on the 'fancruft' issue.

Unfortunately the end result is that topics disliked by some editors
who think they shouldn't be in an encyclopedia are subjected to
stricter interpretations of Wikipedia policies than those in subject
areas not normally contentious.

-Matt