[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Sam Blacketer sam.blacketer at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:26:48 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, "The Cunctator" <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What we have here is a creative selection of listings.
>
> Which has been compiled by Wikipedians, not by the show.

No, it hasn't. The listing has been compiled by 'Top Gear'. The list
has been copied down from the screen by a Wikipedian based solely on
what was on the screen, adding nothing, changing nothing, removing
nothing, just writing a list of what was on the screen. The creative
input from the Wikipedian was nil.

Suppose there was a television music show with a sing-along song,
where the words were displayed on 'idiot boards' for the studio
audience. A wikipedian watches the show and copies down the lyrics off
the boards displayed in the studio and clearly visible on the
television. That would still be an infringement of the copyright of
the lyricist of the song. This is the same thing, only with a list of
cars.

--
Sam Blacketer
London E15