[WikiEN-l] Copyright question ("compilation copyright")

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 08:46:12 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Oh thank you so much.  And there was I thinking that reproducing
> chunks of stuff directly out of primary sources was forbidden by law,
> and I was just trying to stop us getting sued.

With the exception of fair use, of course - which is in fact more
useful AND more defensible in text than in pictures.  (For UK
contributors, of course, replace that with 'fair dealing' which is
much more restrictive, but I believe DOES still allow for criticism
and commentary - though someone better versed in it would be useful).

-Matt