[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:17:25 UTC 2007

On 03/04/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> We are, however, listing the cool wall in its entirety.  If we list
> the Top Ten singles chart in its entirety, we violate copyright.  If
> we list all the number one hits, it has also been stated we violate
> that copyright.

Cite?

>  It is quite possible the list of Academy Award
> winners *is* copyright, but it has never been enforced.

You're slipping into something resembling Copyright Paranoia For Convenience.

"It's a copyright violation *and* it's original research. Probably
violates a patent too, if I looked closely enough."

> know.  At least there we have numerous precedents in other sources, I
> can't find any other source that duplicates the Cool Wall list in its
> entirety.

Is that an argument for or against its inclusion this message? Could
be either, depending whether you're calling it a copyright violation
or original research.

- d.