[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Apr 3 00:45:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> If, on the other
> hand, we argue that it is not a copyright violation because the list
> itself is not presented as part of the show's content, then the list
> in the article is a novel synthesis from original materials.

That doesn't follow, because Wikipedia's definition of "novel synthesis"
isn't a legal definition.  It's entirely plausible that a list can be "novel"
in a legal sense, yet non-novel by Wikipedia standards.

This smells highly of an attempt to delete listcrufy by whatever means and
stretching definitions.  I've seen a lot of stretched definitions lately,
and they can really hurt us in the future.  You are creating Wikipedia's
Commerce Clause.