[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:58:21 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:48:30 -0700, "Matthew Brown" <morven at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In this case, the list of cars in the show was assembled from a
> >primary source using simple criteria: any car shown was listed.
>
> Um, no.  This is a classic case of "hard cases make bad law".

I was addressing the 'original research' part of the argument; I don't
think it was original research.  It's quite likely that the list is
copyrighted, however, since it is not a factually based list.  The
argument then becomes whether quoting that list in Wikipedia is
permissible fair use (or the more restrictive UK equivalent, if you're
located there).

-Matt