[WikiEN-l] Lock new article creation for three months

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 2 20:57:10 UTC 2007

"The Cunctator" wrote

> I think a powerful fallacy in your line of reasoning is the assumption
> that the encyclopedia in its current state is anywhere near the point
> of being comprehensive.

Oh, but I entirely agree. Adding bishopcruft at a great rate, myself.

> We should be expending every effort to prevent Wikipedia from being
> less welcoming or harder for newbies. Signs that Wikipedia is becoming
> less welcoming for newbies indicate the primary points of decay in the
> system.

Well, I certainly agree on one aspect of this: somehow making it harder for new editors to edit simply means they remain inexperienced newbies longer, which is no help at all.

Another thing: policy should be brought to a state where it belongs in the same sentence as 'lucidity'. This is a known (political) problem.

I think you may misunderstand the sort of direction that would meet my approval. There is a theoretical kind of place that would be 'upmarket of Wikipedia'. That is where Citizendium wants to be. I think we have the smarts to be there ourselves. 'Floor the accelerator' doesn't really acknowledge the possibility, because it is solely about growth.

Charles