[WikiEN-l] So as not to destroy the Wikipedia in order to save it:

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 2 20:23:10 UTC 2007

"David Gerard" wrote

> Since, after all, the impetus for this is nothing
> but public relations.

WP has always needed the right kind of good PR.

We have become a bit blasé about press coverage, I think. Has anyone pointed out to this list last week's Technology Guardian snippet: search for 'Bob Woolmer' gives the enWP page as second destination after his personal page. Fantastic! (I thought I'd check the page while writing this - oops, vandalism to revert.)

We have a _huge_ readership, and a steadily growing share of web traffic (per Alexa), itself a growing market.

Sure, if PR is 'reputation management', let's not get too fatigued with the day-to-day brawling, and wonder also about priorities some more. I have something in mind about 'the bottom of the barrel', and trying to define sensibly what we want to do about not scraping it straight into low-rent articles.

Charles