[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Mon Apr 2 10:48:43 UTC 2007

At http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cool_Wall we had a complete list
of cars which appear on the BBC Top Gear "Cool Wall".  I removed this
as being almost certainly a violation of copyright.  It is now being
argued that reproducing the list in full does not violate copyright,
because it is not published in the show's magazine or on the website
and has been compiled by collating the lists from numerous shows.  It
is further asserted that compiling the list from these shows does not
constitute original research, although there is no known reliable
secondary source for any of the data, let alone the complete collated
list

Original research?  You decide.

Copyright?  I think so, but what do I know?

Fancruft?  Ooooh, tricky :-)

Guidance appreciated.

Guy (JzG)
--