[WikiEN-l] Lock new article creation for three months

Christopher Hagar cmhagar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:03:30 UTC 2007

A less drastic solution would be to disable new user accounts. This would
limit the number of new articles, and especially the ones that are the
greatest maintenance burden, especially unsourced articles, and would not
significantly impair our ability to cover current events or inhibit people
who are quite capable of creating sound articles. Even if the limit were
only a week, this would still be time for the person to get familiar with
how to edit Wikipedia; we should stress the idea that Wikipedia is not a
dumping ground, that if you are creating an article it should not be crap,
that it should at least have the rudiments of what is necessary for someone
else to improve it, and most importantly that you should not leave something
undone if it would take you 5 minutes to do it but it would take someone
unfamiliar with the topic and the article 20 minutes.