[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Apr 1 05:44:42 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:

>I think the reason is that our one truly fundamental goal is to write a
>good, free encyclopedia, and that while attempting to source everything
>is a good means to that goal if we were to take it to the extreme it
>would actually start to move us farther away from it. If we were to
>actually follow through with the absolute full extent of the
>only-sourced-statements ideal it would devastate Wikipedia's current
>contents and IMO raise such a barrier to editing that new work would
>slow to a crawl. We have to consider these costs and find a compromise
>position that tries to minimize them.

In certain measure this ties back to our old argument about whether we
are "free as in beer" of "free as in speech".  The former is relatively
simple, even if we haven't yet reached perfection in that; copyright
policy falls into it.  Free as in speech is more elusive.  The right of
free speech is not the absolut right to sy anything you damn well please
without regard to consequences, but if there are to be exceptions to
that right those exceptions must be explicit.  We cannot knowingly allow
defamation or lies.  As a private organization we are not confined to
only those exceptions that are sanctioned by law; we can also disallow
other kinds of speech.  We are within our legal rights to impose some
kind of notability criterion, but legislating cluefullness remains an
impossibility and not an illegality.

We need to constantly remind ourselves about what made this project grow
into the giant that we now have.  Important as it may be to strive for
total reliability, that was not the most important factor in our
phenomenal growth.  Nor has that growth been based on having only
biographies od "notable" people.  If these individuals are really so
-unnotable, very few people are likely to read those articles anyway.

Ec