[WikiEN-l] Citationgate: expertise and verifiability

Laura Scudder laurascudder at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:21:43 UTC 2006

Looking at the things tagged by the reviewer
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special_relativity&diff=78107405&oldid=77881051),
almost every single one would warrant a "This is accepted by virtually
all scholars" note.  Where does it end?  Should every factual
statement have such a tag?  Surely students can figure out what a
References section is and just pick up one of those books.

I'm am very pro-citation when it helps us build a better encyclopedia,
but I'm anti-"let's footnote everything even though it appears in any
textbook on the subject and is totally uncontroversial, just to
satisfy a process decision".