[WikiEN-l] Citationgate: expertise and verifiability

Mak makwik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 16:43:32 UTC 2006

I've just attempted to explain why having inline citations can be
misleading. If a fact is widely agreed on, and you ascribe it to a single
source or author, it makes it seem as though that person is the sole
proponent of that idea, when in fact pretty much everyone in the field is in
agreement.

If you look at [[Dido and Aeneas]] you will see that it does cite it's
sources. In the oh-so-cryptically named "References" section. It does not
have inline citations because when I wrote the majority of the article, I
was 1) brand new 2) inline citations had not become all the rage 3) *it
doesn't contain controversial assertions. No one has challenged a single
fact in the article. If you know anything about either the work or Purcell
or English Baroque music, you probably won't challenge any of the article's
assertions because they are *not* controversial.

I'll say it again. [[Dido and Aeneas]] cites its sources in the form of
references. If you want to check anything, all you have to do is look at a
fairly short article in Grove and a fairly short introduction in an edition.
It doesn't give inline citations because it doesn't say anything
controversial, and no one has challenged anything in it.

Makemi