[WikiEN-l] Citationgate: expertise and verifiability

Mak makwik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 16:22:26 UTC 2006

In addition, in my view, adding specific citations can be misleading for
widely believed/understood/known facts.

For instance, if I write that "Anthony Newcomb says that Alfonso Fontanelli
was one of the foremost madrigalists of 16th century Italy", or in other
words "Alfonso Fontanelli was one of the foremonst madrigalists of 16th
century Italy<ref>Newcomb blah blah</ref>", that implies that other major
scholars of music in 16th century Italy such as Alfred Einstein, do /not/
believe that Fontanelli was a foremost madrigalist, which isn't the case.
It's widely thought that he was. It shouldn't need an inline citation,
because all the major sources agree on it.

But since practically no-one on-wiki is an expert on 16th century Italian
music, they insist on inline citations, so that someone could potentially go
"check" that "fact". I think inline citations can be very important, but I
don't think every single factual assertion in an article should have to have
an inline citation, especially when an article really  is simply echoing
accepted non-controversial scholarship, such as, for instance, [[Dido and
Aeneas]], which just received a GA review request for inline citations. It's
getting ridiculous.

[[User:Makemi]]